Saturday, October 10, 2009

Day One: Chicago-Tokyo

So, the flight was super long, but we ended up making great time. I totally got hosed on the exchange rate at O'Hare, and Dad was much smarter than me and waited till we got in Japan.

Anyway, my kidneys feel like they've been punched by furious midgets all day, and the blood is just now returning to my legs. But hey, here are some pictures of the Canadian Rockies:

So we got in, the airport was crazy nice, but we totally got turned around getting the train. Once we finally got down to the platform, we ended up being assigned to sit next to a nice family from San Francisco coming into town for a family reunion of sorts. Their nephew is marketing consultant for EA Japan (A huge videogame company) so we all talked about what to do, how to properly approach Japanese, that kind of thing.

But once in the Tokyo Station subway, we just sat there, looking dumfounded at the crazy warren of tunnels, platforms, etc. Until a SUPER nice guy came up, said "Can I help you" and LITERALLY led us to the train, got on with us (it was only one station east) and then got off and went back where he was going. I had to pick my jaw off the ground, it was such a nice thing to do.

Anyway, from there, the station gave way to the busy plaza outside, full of servers hustling for tables... and a neon futuristic backdrop.

We got to our hotel (which is very nice, BTW), hopped in the shower to blow the stink off us, then proceeded to find a simple tempura place we could both agree on.


On a related note, I actually saw my dad use chopsticks.


Well, I'm BEAT and I'm pretty much just typing all this to stave off sleep so I can better adjust to local time and fight jet lag. Tomorrow, we're taking the bullet train to Hiroshima, but we'll be back to run around Tokyo later this week.



Also, I promise I'll write.



No comments:

Post a Comment